Cramming Information

What is Cramming?

Placing charges on your phone bill for products or services without your authorization is known as “cramming” and is prohibited by law. Your telephone company may be providing billing services for other companies, so other companies’ charges may appear on your telephone bill.

What do I do if I was “crammed”?

If you believe you were “crammed”, you should contact Nortex at 940-759-2251 and request that it take corrective action. The Public Utility Commission of Texas requires Nortex Communications to do the following within 45 days of when it learns of the unauthorized charge:

  • Notify the service provider to cease charging you for the unauthorized product or service
  • Remove any unauthorized charge from your bill
  • Refund or credit all money to you that you have paid for an unauthorized charge
  • On request, provide you with all billing records related to any unauthorized charge within 15 business days after the charge is removed from your telephone bill

Your phone service cannot be disconnected for disputing or refusing to pay unauthorized charges.

If the company fails to resolve your request, or if you would like to file a complaint, please write or call the Public Utility Commission of Texas, PO Box 13326, Austin, Texas 78711-3326 or call 512-936-7120 or toll-free in Texas at 800-735-2988. Hearing and speech-impaired individuals with the text telephones (TTY) may contact the commission at 800-735-2988. You may have additional rights under state and federal law. Please contact the Federal Communications Commission, the Attorney General of Texas, or the Public Utility Commission of Texas if you would like further information about possible additional rights.

Back to Top
Hidden Crowdfiber form